Thursday, July 26, 2012

Summer camp....

Hi!
This week is summer camp, which means only a few students.  I can't tell if they are bored or just hate me, or really don't want to have anything to do with school.  My guess is that it is a combination of all three.  I have tried to make a really fun summer camp, Lord of the Flies/Survival themed, but they seem to not care, which I completely understand.  And since I've had about 4 students each day, all coming in somewhere between 9:15 and 10am (we're supposed to start at 9) it's been pretty quiet.

I don't have a whole lot (or any) as far as pictures go for this week, but I've definitely been out having fun.  I had dinner with some friends on Monday, delicious as always.  Tuesday I did some shopping, it was high time that I get at least some new t-shirts.  I don't want to wear out all of my clothing before too long.  We started early, so by 6 it seemed quite late and we headed home.  I stopped at the kimbap place near my house for a quick take away meal.

On Wednesday I went to the beach with some friends.  I haven't been spending nearly enough time on the beach, which frustrates me a bit.  But it is different too, because I'm not used to taking a bus and having to carry all my beach stuff with me.  First world problems, I know.  But something that does come up.
An anecdote from Wednesday.  Living in Minnesota, there are not many (or any that I know of) saltwater anything.  In fact it would take an airplane or many hours by car, bus or train to get to an ocean or Great Salt Lake in Utah.  Every time I swim in the sea it is a surprise that it is salty.  Now to clarify: I am well aware that the sea is salty.  But in the final moments when I'm walking into the cold water I lose all sense of ocean and don't think about the saltiness that will momentarily occur.
When I said something to the effect that I am always surprised at how salty the water is in the sea, my friend from the UK laughed and told me that one of my fellow minneapolitans always says the same thing.  And she thinks it's strange because in England they have only the sea so it would be weird if it wasn't salty when swimming!

On that note, I'll leave you until next week when I'll hopefully have some fun stories and pics from the weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment